Wednesday, 25 November 2009
Also expanded the eClaims dashboard for QlikView with the help of one of our potential customers. The functionality that you can create very quickly was amazing and it has received a very positive response.
Did I mention it was fast! I can achieve in two hours something that would have taken me days of boring development time. Plus I know that I can easily train this out to other people on the team.
The sales team is coming in to see us on the 7th December and they have offered some free time to use some of our data and put together a polished demo. Hopefull we can convince customers that this is the way forward in terms of reporting / data dashboards.
Monday, 23 November 2009
This is pretty useful because I now have a map of the borough with all the ward boundaries and the user can click inside one of the boundaries and see the stats for that ward. Now I need to figure out how to plot the geographic location of individual instances that occur in the ward which shouldn't be too difficult because the API has a method for doing that sort of thing.
Friday, 20 November 2009
Today I need to work on the following:
- Replace the standard layer with a layer that shows the ward boundaries
- Add a date filter that lets the user decide how much data they want to see
- Figure out how to display graphs of data using the DOJO framework
Thursday, 19 November 2009
I have a demo working now where a mouseclick will give the easting, northing and ward name of the point I have clicked on the map. I now have to figure out how to pull enforcement statistics back for the ward I have clicked on; just need to get my functions in the right order.
Tuesday, 17 November 2009
There doesn't appear to be an onMapMouseOver event (or something similar) to fire an event when the mouse is moved. I phoned the support team and they said that they tried to get it to work but couldn't. That's a bit of a shame.
Now I need to start planning how to actually put the dashboard together and also if there's a way to filter data that gets pulled back from the Geostore table. I also need to work out how to show events for a specific area partnership. Lots to do but much further on than I thought I would be after just two days.
- Installed Apache Tomcat 5.5.23
- Copied the contents of the Stratus webapp (that's the root for Tomcat much like inetpub\wwwroot is the root for IIS) into the local webapp folder
- Created a new project in Aptana and pointed this to the ria content on the local machine
- Moved all my test files across and hit compile
After a little bit of messing with the filepaths for the .js and .css resources we were good to go. The map displayed and I was able to move around, zoom in / out and all that good stuff.
Now I've started working on getting onclick events from the map, and also using the features tables to do a 'Find My Nearest' search for libraries and one stop shops. This is giving me a little headache - I can't get any x / y co-ords to work other than the sample ones provided by PB - but I'll get there.
A good morning's work.
Monday, 16 November 2009
Now I have got to the stage where it looks like FireFox is downloading a load of content from the server that the API sits on but it's trying to get hold of one particular file in a folder that doesn't exist (ria/widgets./i18n.js) anywhere on the server. I wonder if this is a bug? The wierd thing is that the examples work fine so maybe it's something I'm doing wrong.
- Downloaded and installed Apanta Web onto Windows XP (http://www.apanta.org). This is a free development tool that comes with a DOJO plugin that makes life easier.
- Downloaded and installed FireFox (http://www.mozilla.org). I am reliably informed that you have to pay for a debugger that works with IE; the FireFox one is (of course) free.
- Set up a new project in Apanta. If you create a default web project then it asks you if you want to add the reference to DOJO. Learned how to add files, set the start page, that sort of thing.
- Worked through a series of DOJO tutorials at http://www.sitepen.com/blog/2009/10/30/why-dojo/#more-770 that show off some of the cool stuff you can do pretty easily. They all eventually compiled and worked.
There was a bit of post - install jiggery pokery for Apanta; you have to download and install the DOJO plug in, set the proxy properly so that it can connect to the web (for some reason it didn't like the new proxy we have installed) and set up a debug environment that defaults to FF and not IE. But after a mornings' work I'm good to go.